Do I have to “rollover” my money to an IRA retirement plan to access my money through a 72(t) distribution?

The answer is no, but in many cases, we recommend that you do. An employer sponsored IRA retirement plan often carries restrictions on withdrawals and limited investment options, as well as other considerations. By “rolling” the funds into an IRA retirement plan or Individual Retirement Account, you are in control of the distributions and the universe of investment options available to you. Applicable fees will vary depending on the investments chosen to fund the 72(t), but they are typically and can be much lower than fees paid through an employer sponsored plan.

Can you take a loan from your IRA?

You might be able to use your IRA assets for a short period of time using a 60 day rollover. However, you must follow the rules carefully to avoid paying a penalty. You must pay the money back and place it into the same IRA or another traditional IRA within the 60 calendar day window required by federal law. If you do not pay back the full amount within the 60 days, it will likely be considered a distribution and you’ll owe income tax on it. In addition, it may also be subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are younger than 59 ½. There are certain situations in which you may avoid the early withdrawal penalty, such as a first-time home purchase, health expenses, medical insurance, educational expenses, disability and Substantially Equal Periodic Payments.

If you would like help properly structuring your early retirement, please contact us today.